Thursday, April 3, 2008
(1790 Wilkes Co., NC Census)
Samuel Stidham was drafted during the Revolutionary War and served two terms for a total of nine months in 1780. His officers were Ensign Ben Humphrey, Lt. David Humphrey, Capt. James Giddens, Col. Martin Armstrong and Gen. Rutherford. He enlisted at the Surry Courthouse, and at that time was a resident of Surry Co., North Carolina
He served with a company as a guard of the ammunition magazine. While serving in the guard company, the Tories were encamped about the mulberry fields on the Yadkin River. Samuel and others were ordered to attack them. The Tories fled so the company returned. At the end of three months, Samuel was discharged, but was subsequently drafted for another six month term. During his second term, he was again assigned to guard the magazine. His company marched to Sorceymares Mill on Dutch Buffalo Creek in Rowan Co., where it provided ammunition for the main army under the command of Gen. Rutherford. From there, the army marched to join Gen. Gate's army. After one day and night, the army encamped on Long Creek where a soldier was killed by a falling tree. Samuel and another soldier were left to bury the dead man, then rejoined their company.
According to census and tax records, Samuel was later found living in the following counties in North Carolina:
Surry Co., North Carolina 1780-1786
Wilkes Co., North Carolina 1790-1799
Ashe Co., North Carolina 1800-1820
Samuel probably farmed and raised his family on the North Fork of the New River in what is present day Ashe Co., North Carolina. (Wilkes Co. was formed from the old Surry Co. in 1777. Ashe Co. was formed from Wilkes Co. in 1799.) On 25 Jun 1795, Samuel paid 50 shillings to the State of North Carolina for 100 acres in Wilkes County. (Land Grant No. 4564) In 1798, he was granted 100 acres on the North Fork of the New River. (Wilkes Co. Deed Book D, p. 384) In 1808, he was again granted land (300 acres) on the North Fork of the New River by the State of North Carolina, for which he paid 50 shilling per 100 acres. (Ashe Co., North Carolina Deed Book D, p. 133-134) This land was on both sides of the North Fork of the New River.